FULL EVENT SOLD OUT all parts Hotel / program visits / meals / parties): Email email@example.com to be added to waiting list in case of cancellations.
If you are aged 27-39, come and explore one of Portugal’s most charming cities, together with hundreds of young Jewish professionals on 22-25 February 2024!
- Learn about the Jewish heritage of Portugal
- Explore one of Portugal’s buzz city’s
- Party the nights away with your JEP friends
- Stay at a deluxe 5* hotel
- Enjoy tasty Glatt Kosher food
And much much more!!!
For our Cancellation policy – Please see the Terms and Conditions section.
Please note that you must be registered on the JEP website to purchase tickets to our events. Not yet registered? Become a member now!
All prices are per person and do not include travel to / from Porto or transfers to the hotel. If you pay by bank transfer from outside the EU / UK / Switzerland you will get an extra 50 Euros charge unless you use Wise or Revolut websites, so we recommend to use Paypal to avoid this.
Extra nights before and after the event are available through JEP at our special group rates. If you request a twin occupancy extra night without a friend(s) and we are unable to match you up with another participant(s), you will be asked to upgrade to a single room.
SOLD OUT FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS – email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to waiting list in case of cancellations.
To get these prices you must also hold a valid 1 year paid membership subscription.
EARLYBIRD SALE DEADLINE: 23:59 CEST (Belgium Time) on Wednesday 24 January 2024.
DOUBLE ROOM INFORMATION: This is a room with 1 x large bed where you will share with someone of the same gender. Prices are per person.
TWIN ROOM INFORMATION: This is a room with 2 x single beds where you will share with someone. Prices are per person.
Normal Price € 439
Normal Price € 459
Normal Price € 649
TWIN ROOM INFORMATION: This is a room with 2 x single beds where you will share with someone. Prices are per person.
Thu-Sun Single Room
Thu-Sun Twin Room
EXTRA NIGHT OPTIONS:
Double / Twin
- For those people living in Porto only, we can offer these local packages for the weekend at special subsidized prices if you sign up as a FREE user on our website first. These do not include any transport to and from the venues and will be released soon!
This is an example program – the real program will be sent to participants only.
Day 1 Highlights – Thursday
Tour of Porto city
Day 2 Highlights – Friday
Scenic tour out of city
Day 3 Highlights – Shabbat
Shabbat Friendly Activity
Relax & Enjoy
ECJS fun party
DAY 4 Highlights – Sunday
Historic Tour of city
The event will start at around 12:00pm in Porto on the Thursday and finish on Sunday at approximately 3:00pm. The nearest airport is Porto Airport (OPO) which is approximately 20-25 minutes from the hotel by taxi or 40-50 minutes by public transport. Uber from the airport costs around 15-20 Euros.
The hotel is a luxurious 5 star hotel with a boutique lounge exuding quiet refinement and sophistication – in Porto’s newest hotspot for experiences. Discover the iconic heated infinity swimming pool or the unique rooftop garden terrace; or relax in your air-conditioned designer bedroom with a coffee machine, a minibar, a safety deposit box, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom with a shower.
Opening up like a pop-up book from the banks of the Rio Douro, edgy-yet-opulent Porto entices with its historic center and sumptuous food and wine.
Porto (or Oporto, as it’s sometimes called) is an attractive European minimetropolis on Portugal’s northwestern coast where visitors can get their fill of culture and the outdoors. Travelers can visit the city’s wealth of museums, admire its varied architecture, relax in its verdant parks and, of course, hit the beach.
The city earns its nickname Cidade das Pontes, or “City of Bridges,” from the six arches spanning the Rio Douro (Douro River), which runs along Porto’s southern edge. Views of the Douro River are best enjoyed from the Dom Luís I Bridge, the most iconic of Porto’s six structures.
Porto holds the distinction of being Portugal’s second-largest city and home to one of the nation’s oldest Jewish communities. Unlike Lisbon, which suffered extensive damage from the 1755 earthquake, Porto remained largely unscathed. Consequently, the city has preserved its historic Jewish quarter with its enchanting narrow streets, charming balconied houses, and thoroughfares bearing names such as “Rua Monte Judeus,” “Escadinhas do Monte dos Judeus,” and “Pátio das Escadinhas do Monte dos Judeus.” The primary synagogue once graced the Escadas da Vitória, a place still affectionately referred to locally as “Escadas da Esnoga,” meaning the “stairway to the synagogue.” A plaque now commemorates this significant historical site.
Porto not only tolerated but also actively protected its Jewish community for many years. Tragically, the infamous Inquisition drove the expulsion of Jews from the country, resulting in the complete erasure of its Jewish heritage.
In the 1920s, the efforts of army captain Arturo Carlos de Barros Bastos led Porto to become the focal point of a modest Jewish cultural revival. Captain Basto, a convert himself, embraced Orthodox Judaism at the age of 33, earning him the moniker “the Portuguese Dreyfus.” Regrettably, his newfound faith led to his dismissal from the Army due to his Jewish identity.
Following his departure from the military, Captain Basto established a synagogue in Porto. As the congregation expanded, Arturo Carlos de Barros Bastos proactively arranged for the acquisition of a new building generously gifted by Elly Kadoorie, a wealthy Sephardic Jew, and built the “Kadoorie” synagogue on land acquired and contributed by Baron Edmond de Rothschild of Paris. Additionally, Basto founded a yeshiva in Porto, which operated successfully for nine years, educating over 90 students. These endeavors did not escape the government’s notice, particularly in the wake of approximately 10,000 families across Portugal openly acknowledging their clandestine practice of Judaism.
To the modern day and Friday, at the commencement of the Jewish Sabbath, a harmonious blend of voices fills the air, speaking not only in Portuguese but also in English, French, Spanish, and Hebrew. This harmonious chorus represents a community that is currently experiencing a resurgence, offering refuge to Jews who feel threatened in Europe and other regions.The Jewish Community of Oporto has seen remarkable growth over the past three years, with its membership expanding from a mere 100 to now encompassing 300 individuals hailing from various corners of the globe. What’s noteworthy is the unity between religious and secular members within our community.
The overwhelming majority of the synagogue’s members are either foreign-born or descendants of European immigrants who arrived during the 20th century. This diversity underscores the vibrant tapestry of the contemporary Jewish community in Oporto.
- Five-Star superior Accommodation
- Free WiFi Internet Access in all rooms and public areas.
- General Room facilities
- Free access to fitness facilities (treatments/ activities may cost extra)
- Kosher meals
- Entertainment and workshops
- City Tours with professional guides – dependant on local laws and restrictions
- Organised transport for official trip tours and visits – dependant on local laws and restrictions
- General room service
- Optional Parking (charged by the hotel directly to each individual)
Participants will NOT be provided with
- Luxury items (alcoholic beverages besides Friday night, etc)
- Additional room service (washing, dry cleaning, etc)
- Health and other insurance – It is the responsibility of the participant to organise necessary health insurance. ECJS & JEP take no responsibility for extra costs or refunds if the participant does not have necessary requirements or for any expenses in relation to this.
- Every participant should ensure that their personal insurance covers medical expenses during their stay.
- JEP does not take responsibility for damages done by participants (in hotel, buses and other locations). Participants are legally responsible for any damage they cause.
- Participant must notify JEP in advance of any illnesses, allergies or medications they are on if there is any risk of any possible side effects or reactions that JEP should be aware of. It is the participants own responsibility to ensure they prevent such reactions / side effects taking place as much as realistically possible, and JEP does not take any responsibility for any medical care / treatment or incidents that may happen due to a participants failure to adhere to their personal medical responsibilities.
- By completing an event or membership registration form, the applicant gives full permission for JEP staff, or affiliated representatives on JEP’s behalf, to take appropriate related photographs of the applicant during an event (or pre/post event days), which may be used in any JEP related material (e.g. marketing or supplied to sponsors), at the decision of theJEP office.
- Any participant may be charged the full cost of the event and sent home during the program if fraudulent information was provided on the registration form for the event or JEP member/associate form.
- JEP holds the right at any time to cancel your participation if you fail to fulfil any demands or requirements of the program. In this situation the amount of refunds are at the full discretion of the JEP office staff.
Ticket Booking Confirmation
JEP only confirms and guarantees the booking once tickets have been purchased, approved and payment also received and approved by the JEP office; on the basis that the participant provides a copy of his ID / Passport for security and the information supplied on the registration form is correct. Until then, JEP does not take any responsibility for your commitment to the event. Therefore JEP does not advise you to book your flights / travel arrangements, until you receive your confirmation from the JEP office as before this time JEP does not guarantee you a place to participate in the event.
ECJS & JEP does its best to adhere to all specific room and event requests (such as room sharing preferences). However, in certain circumstances this may not be possible. In this situation the participant consents to the full authority of ECJS & JEP to make any changes necessary.
These are only for those people currently living in the hosting city holding full residency or alternatively students studying abroad/young adults working abroad, on proof of holding a local address.
- If someone is found positive with Covid-19 related symptoms, then it is the participants responsibility to decide how they wish to deal with it. JEP will only implement any rules if local government enforces as laws. JEP does not take any responsibility for any testing / isolation or action if the participant unless it is an enforced requirement.
- For Covid refunds : These will be provided only if you hold a positive Covid-19 test and at a level providing JEP obtains any refunds from any expenses laid out on your behalf (e.g. hotel / tour guides / food etc). For no other reasons. All Covid-19 related refunds are at the discretion of the JEP office.
Participants must prove financial situation warranting discount. A copy of a valid passport and/or references are required. Documents and/or letter outlining your request with contact details of either a Rabbi or Jewish community organization who can vouch for your limited finances should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com
If you are awarded a further “extra” discount to the advertised prices we ask that you try your best to attend every session of our program, especially the workshops and lectures, to reflect your appreciation of this donation. A thank you letter about your experiences at the event is required for our sponsors within 2 weeks following the event.
Limited availability. Discounts will be granted solely at the discretion of ECJS & JEP and its partners and special offer discounts are only valid on main event dates and exclude extra costs such as extra nights/membership fee etc.
Special Discount Offer and Early-bird Offer Period End-Date
This is the date all registration and payments must be RECEIVED by the JEP office. It is entirely the discretion of the JEP office staff to decide whether a participant fulfills the demands for the offers, and JEP hold the full right to charge non-offer price if they believe this is not the case.
Group Organiser or other Special Offers
These are only applicable to you as an individual and do not apply to any other participants, for example a discount in a 2 person room is a discount on your participation rate and not for the other person sharing the room. It is entirely the discretion of the JEP office staff to decide whether a participant fulfills the demands for the offers.
This is the general cancellation policy but DOES NOT APPLY to any special Non-Cancelable / Non Refundable sale price ticket (see below terms for these tickets).
For cancellations until 23:59 on 8 January 2024 we will refund all payment except for 50 Euros admin fee for our staff to process this cancellation. From 09 January 2024 until 23:59 on 25 January 2024, we will refund 70% of your payment, providing the event sells out and we manage to re-sell your place. Otherwise we will not be able to offer a refund. After 25 January 2024, all cancellations will get no refund even for a medical emergency. The reason for this deduction is due to the risk we are taking, as well as the event low prices, the longer administration process involved in changing your booking, and often involves more time and expensive phone calls trying to find a replacement.
JEP will have already booked, ordered and paid for everything for you. We will not be able to receive refunds for any of these purchases. Please understand that JEP is a non-profit organization. We invest over €100 for each member to attend the event beyond the member fee that was paid. With your cancellation we lose this investment as well.
This is our cancellation policy and we apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you. You agree that by submitting any event registration form or “ticket” via our website, you thereby acknowledge that you have read and understand this permission agreement and agree to be bound by its terms and conditions.
Cancellation Policy for special NON-CANCELABLE / NON REFUNDABLE 1 WEEK SALE TICKETS:
These tickets are special priced offer tickets that are entirely non cancelable and 100% non-refundable once registration is completed and payment made. Purchase of this ticket is entirely at the purchaser’s risk and will not be refunded in any circumstances. It is also not permitted to use “Paypal query / bank recall” or any other similar methods to attempt to recall the payment. In this circumstance you will be issued a full invoice to re-instate the payment. By completing the registration and sending payment, you agree to these terms and conditions fully.